Lees Hall is one of the tragedies of urban development in the Sheffield of the 1950’s . A few years short of enlightened legislation that would have saved it, the Hall was demolished in 1957 despite an offer from the then owner to help with repairs. The rubble was bulldozed into the pond conveniently situated by the Hall, and it passed into history. In 1998, the pond was excavated as part of a local Wildlife initiative and in a strange twist of fate, the ruins of the Hall were bulldozed back to where they originally stood. Less than a year afterwards, the local vegetation has claimed the stones back and they will probably lie there undisturbed for centuries.
There are many references to Lees Hall to be found in the Local Archives & Local History departments, as well as the classic “Chantrey Land” and other local magazines. Here are some key texts, reproduced with permission.